Trump, Apple to Announce Fresh $100 Billion US Investment

Date:

(Bloomberg) — President Donald Trump will announce that Apple Inc. will commit to spend another $100 billion on domestic manufacturing, the latest pledge by the tech giant to increase US production of its products as it seeks to avoid punishing tariffs on its flagship iPhones.

Most Read from Bloomberg

The announcement at the White House on Wednesday includes a new manufacturing program designed to bring more of Apple’s supply chain to the US, with an eye toward manufacturing additional critical components domestically, according to a White House official who detailed the announcement on the condition of anonymity. Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook is expected to attend.

“President Trump’s America First economic agenda has secured trillions of dollars in investments that support American jobs and bolster American businesses,” White House spokesperson Taylor Rogers said in a statement. “Today’s announcement with Apple is another win for our manufacturing industry that will simultaneously help reshore the production of critical components to protect America’s economic and national security.”

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company has previously announced it plans to spend $500 billion in the US over the next four years, which will include work on a new server manufacturing facility in Houston, a supplier academy in Michigan and additional spending with its existing suppliers in the country. Wednesday’s announcement will bring Apple’s cumulative commitment to $600 billion, the White House said.

While the promised investment is substantial, it stops short of the full shift to US-based production that Trump and top White House officials have envisioned.

Earlier this year, the president threatened to hit Apple with a tariff of at least 25% if it didn’t move manufacturing of the iPhone to the US, a day after meeting with Cook at the White House. Trump administration officials have suggested that Apple could assemble its phones and other electronics domestically using robotics.

Apple said last week that it took an $800 million hit from tariffs in the June quarter — slightly less than previously projected — and expected them to add $1.1 billion its costs in the September quarter, assuming no policy changes or new duties.

Source link

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related